lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Questions about doc store files (.cfx)
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 08:17:29 GMT
Hi,

I'm wondering about the benefits of having the .cfx files. The main
advantage is that you avoid merging (copying) stored fields and
TermVectors during segment merge, right? And I think .cfx files are only
shared across segments if the same IndexWriter is used to flush multiple
segments and then to commit all those segments in a single transaction.
Then those segments share the same .cfx file, correct? And in such a
case .cfx files are also not merged into .cfs files?

How big is usually the win of using .cfx files? I'm wondering, because
the .cfx file is the only one that spans over multiple segments and
therefore adds more complexity to the code. For parallel indexing it'd
be nice to not have those kind of files that belong to multiple
segments, especially when we want to update certain fields.

  Michael