lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Adriano Crestani (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Commented: (LUCENE-2039) Regex support and beyond in JavaCC QueryParser
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 07:33:39 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2039?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12776884#action_12776884
] 

Adriano Crestani commented on LUCENE-2039:
------------------------------------------

This is a new feature already suggested by Luis and Shai (maybe others too) before, the ability
to delegate to another parser the syntax processing of certain piece of the query string.
This feature is a new feature to both: core QP and contrib QP.

So, I think we should focus more on how/when a query substring will be delegated to another
parser and not discuss about how/when any logic will be applied to it. I think in both QPs,
this part is already defined.

First, to identify this substring we would need a open and close token. It could be either
double-quote, slash or whatever. The ideal solution would allow the user to specify these
two tokens. Unfortunately, I think JavaCC is not so flexible to allow defining these tokens
programatically (after parser generation by JavaCC). So we need to stick with some specific
open/close token, that's one decision we need to take. Maybe we could provide a property file,
where the user could specify the open/close token and regenerate Lucene QP using 'ant javacc'
(which is pretty easy today). Anyway, by default, we could use any new token. I don't agree
with double-quotes (as I think someone suggested), it's already used by phrases, so, slash
is fine for me, as already defined in Simon's patch.

Now, about any semantic(logic) processing performed on any query substring, it will be up
to the QP implementation. In the core QP, its own extension would be responsible to do this
processing. In the contrib QP, the extension parser would only parse the substring and return
a QueryNode, which will be later processed, after the syntax parsing is complete, by the query
node processors. As I said before, this part is defined and I don't think we should discuss
it on this topic.

I like Simon's patch, I think the same approach can be applied to the contrib QP. The only
part I disagree is when you pass the fieldname to the extension parser, I wouldn't implement
that on the contrib parser, because it assumes the syntax always has field names. Anyway,
for the core QP, I see the reason why you pass the fieldname, and it's completely related
to the way the core QP implements the semantic (logic) processing. So, in future, if the main
core QP needs to pass a new info to its extension parser, the extension parser interface would
have to be changed :S...here I go again starting a new discussion about how semantic (logic)
processing should be handled :P

> Regex support and beyond in JavaCC QueryParser
> ----------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: LUCENE-2039
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2039
>             Project: Lucene - Java
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: QueryParser
>            Reporter: Simon Willnauer
>            Assignee: Grant Ingersoll
>            Priority: Minor
>             Fix For: 3.1
>
>         Attachments: LUCENE-2039.patch
>
>
> Since the early days the standard query parser was limited to the queries living in core,
adding other queries or extending the parser in any way always forced people to change the
grammar file and regenerate. Even if you change the grammar you have to be extremely careful
how you modify the parser so that other parts of the standard parser are affected by customisation
changes. Eventually you had to live with all the limitation the current parser has like tokenizing
on whitespaces before a tokenizer / analyzer has the chance to look at the tokens. 
> I was thinking about how to overcome the limitation and add regex support to the query
parser without introducing any dependency to core. I added a new special character that basically
prevents the parser from interpreting any of the characters enclosed in the new special characters.
I choose the forward slash  '/' as the delimiter so that everything in between two forward
slashes is basically escaped and ignored by the parser. All chars embedded within forward
slashes are treated as one token even if it contains other special chars like * []?{} or whitespaces.
This token is subsequently passed to a pluggable "parser extension" with builds a query from
the embedded string. I do not interpret the embedded string in any way but leave all the subsequent
work to the parser extension. Such an extension could be another full featured query parser
itself or simply a ctor call for regex query. The interface remains quiet simple but makes
the parser extendible in an easy way compared to modifying the javaCC sources.
> The downsides of this patch is clearly that I introduce a new special char into the syntax
but I guess that would not be that much of a deal as it is reflected in the escape method
though. It would truly be nice to have more than once extension an have this even more flexible
so treat this patch as a kickoff though.
> Another way of solving the problem with RegexQuery would be to move the JDK version of
regex into the core and simply have another method like:
> {code}
> protected Query newRegexQuery(Term t) {
>   ... 
> }
> {code}
> which I would like better as it would be more consistent with the idea of the query parser
to be a very strict and defined parser.
> I will upload a patch in a second which implements the extension based approach I guess
I will add a second patch with regex in core soon too.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: java-dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: java-dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message