On 10/08/2009 11:46 AM, Robert Muir wrote:
DM by the way, if you want this lowercasing behavior with edge cases, check out LUCENE-1488. There is a case folding filter there, as well as a normalization filter, and they interact correctly for what you want :)
Robert,

So cool. I've been following the emails on this to java-dev that JIRA puts out, but I had not looked at the patch till now. Brought tears to my eyes.

How ready is it? I'd like to use it if it is "good enough".

BTW, does it handle the case where ' (an apostrophe) is used as a character in some languages? (IIRC in some African languages it is a whistle.) That is, do you know whether ICU will consider the context of adjacent characters in determining whether something is a word break?

its my understanding that contrib/analyzers should not have any external dependencies,
That's my understanding too. But there has got to be a way to provide it w/o duplication of code.

so it could be eons before the jdk exposes these things
I'm using ICU now for that very reason. It takes too long for the JDK to be current on anything let alone something that Java boasted of in the early days.

, so I don't know what to do. It would be nice if things like ArabicAnalyzer handled greek edge cases correctly, don't you think?

I do think so. Maybe in the new package (org.apache.lucene.icu) have a subpackage analyzer that's dependant on contrib/analyzers. Or create a PluggableAnalyzer that one could supply a Tokenizer and an ordered list of Filters, changing the contrib/analyzers to derive from it. Or, use reflection to bring in the ICU ability if the lucene-icu.jar is present. Or, ...

Right now, for each of the contrib/analyzers I have my own copy that mimics them but doesn't use the StandardAnalyzer/StandardFilter (I think I want to use LUCENE-1488), does NFKC normalization, optionally uses a StopFilter (sometimes it is hard to dig out the stop set from the analyzers) and optionally uses a stemmer (snowball if available.) Basically, I like all the parts that were provided by a contrib/analyzer, but I have different requirements than how those parts were packaged by the contrib/analyzer's Analyzer. (Thus my question on the order of filters in ArabicAnalyzer).

It'd really be nice if there were a way to specify that "tool chain". Ideally, I'd like to get the default chain, and modify it. (And I'd like to store a description of that tool chain with the index, with version info for each of the parts, so that I can tell when an index needs to be rebuilt.)

-- DM