lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene 2.9 and deprecated IR.open() methods
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 13:55:04 GMT
On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 5:53 AM, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>  1 Do we prevent config settings from changing after creating an
>    IW/IR?
>
>  2 Do we use factory or ctor to create IW/IR?
>
> On #1, we are technically taking something away.  Are we sure no users
> find the freedom to change IW settings mid-stream (ramBufferSizeMB,
> mergeFactor) important?

Some of these are important I think - esp changing merge factor or the
max segment size.

Seems like everything that should be fixed at construction time
(simple params at least) can be passed in the config object, and
everything else can remain setters on the IndexWriter.  Of course
things like max segment size have been factored out into the merge
policies... but you get the idea.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com