lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Wettin <karl.wet...@gmail.com>
Subject Deprecating InstantiatedIndexWriter
Date Sat, 03 Oct 2009 18:00:06 GMT
I suppose that should have been suggested before 2.9 rather than
after...

There are at least three reasons to why I want to do this:

The code is based on the behaviour or the Directory IndexWriter as of
2.3 and I have not been touching it since then. If there will be
changes in the future one will have to keep IIW in sync, something
that's easy to forget.
There is no locking which will cause concurrent modification
exceptions when accessing the index via searcher/reader while
committing.
It use the old token stream API so it has to be upgraded in case it
should stay.

The java- and package level docs have since it was committed been
suggesting that one should consider using II as if it was immutable
due to the locklessness. My suggestion is that we make it immutable
for real.

Since II is ment for small corpora there is very little time lost by
using the constructor that builts the index from an IndexReader. I.e.
rather than using InstantiatedIndexWriter one would have to use a
Directory and an IndexWriter and then pass an IndexReader to a new
InstantiatedIndex.

Any objections?