lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: lucene 2.9 sorting algorithm
Date Fri, 16 Oct 2009 00:11:50 GMT
On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Yonik Seeley
<yonik@lucidimagination.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Michael McCandless
> <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>> Though it'd be odd if the switch to searching by segment
>> really was most of the gains here.
>
> I had assumed that much of the improvement was due to ditching
> MultiTermEnum/MultiTermDocs.
> Note that LUCENE-1483 was before LUCENE-1596... but that only helps
> with queries that use a TermEnum (range, prefix, etc).

Yeah, and all the tests I did in LUCENE-1483 were either TermQuery or
AllDocsQuery so LUCENE-1596 shouldn't have helped.

Ditching MultiTermDocs just means saving one method call, and also
saving having to do 2nd pass on each bulk-read of docs/freqs adding in
the base to the docs.  Maybe that 2nd pass was a big part of the gain.

Mike