lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Searcher javadoc problem
Date Sat, 03 Oct 2009 22:04:20 GMT
I'm working on migrating my code to 2.9. And I'm trying to figure out
what to do. Along the way I found a circular argument in the JavaDoc
for Searcher. BTW, this is not a user question.

My current code calls:
                 Hits hits = searcher.search(query);

The JavaDoc for it says:
   /** Returns the documents matching <code>query</code>.
    * @throws BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses
    * @deprecated Hits will be removed in Lucene 3.0. Use
    * {@link #search(Query, Filter, int)} instead.
    */
   public final Hits search(Query query) throws IOException {
     return search(query, (Filter)null);
   }

However, search(Query, Filter, int) is not quite appropriate as I need
all hits. I guess I could pass null for filter and MAX_INT.

So, I found search(Query, Collector), which seems most appropriate.
(Not sure though, but I'll figure it out.) However, the JavaDoc for it
says:
   /** Lower-level search API.
   *
   * <p>{@link Collector#collect(int)} is called for every matching
document.
   *
   * matching documents.  The high-level search API ({@link
   * Searcher#search(Query)}) is usually more efficient, as it skips
   * non-high-scoring hits.
score.
   * In other words, the score will not necessarily be a float whose
value is
   * between 0 and 1.
   * @throws BooleanQuery.TooManyClauses
   */
  public void search(Query query, Collector results)
    throws IOException {
    search(createWeight(query), null, results);
  }

But Searcher.search(Query) is deprecated.

So what is the appropriate documentation for getting all "hits"? Seems
to say, "Don't do that"

-- DM