lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: lucene 2.9 sorting algorithm
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2009 04:58:38 GMT
Jake Mannix wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com
> <mailto:markrmiller@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     >> he new API is much harder for the
>     >> average user to use, and even for the experienced user, it's not
>     terribly fun,
>     >> and more importantly:
>
>     Do we have enough info to support that though? All the cases I
>     have seen
>     on the list, people have figured it out pretty easily - havn't really
>     seen any complaints in that regard (not counting you and John -
>     that is
>     two). The only other complaints I have noticed are those that happened
>     to count on unsupported behavior (eg people counting on no
>     MultiSearcher
>     use)
>

> John and I and TomS all found it both complex, and we're all pretty
> serious
> users of inner lucene apis.
>
> You see *core developers* saying the api seems fine.  Have you seen
> *any users*
> of the new sorting api say anything positive about it?  Do you know of
> *anyone* who
> has implemented the new comparator interface at all,  let alone
> *likes* it?
> 3 negative votes by users, in comparison to *zero* positive votes by
> users
> together with a bunch of core developers saying, "yeah it looks easy,
> what are
> you guys complaining about?".
>
> Internal apis take a while to percolate out to the user base - we're
> only the first
> few running into this, and while the sample size is small, it
> shouldn't be discounted.
>
> Yes, of course it is possible to migrate to the new APIs - which is
> what we, as well
> as many others, were in the process of doing.  This is just an example
> of an API
> which got more complex in going to 2.9, and unlike the Collector API,
> it's possible
> that in this case it wasn't necessary for it to be as complex as it did.
>
>   -jake

Yes - I've seen a handful of non core devs report back that they
upgraded with no complaints on the difficulty. Its in the mailing list
archives. The only core dev I've seen say its easy is Uwe. He's super
sharp though, so I wasn't banking my comment on him ;)

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com