Sorry for all the confusion, indeed, the LuceneUtils class I was talking about is not in the Lucene distro, so I'd like to appologize if I wasted anyones time on this... *guilt*.

I'll second Yonik in thinking that maybe getField() is a bit broken since it may lead to class cast exceptions, even though the JavaDoc says not to use it with lazy loading fields.

Daniel Shane