lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pinkerton <brian.pinker...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: Question bout I/O monitoring
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 04:54:08 GMT
If you're on a Mac or Solaris, dtrace will tell you everything you
want to know (and more.)  If you're not familiar with dtrace,
iosnoop.d is a good start for this kind of measurement.

At Technorati, I used dtrace to build a trace file of all the read
requests made by a big lucene app, recording timestamp, file, offset,
and number of bytes read.  Among other things, the measurement led me
to decrease the heap size of the JVM so that more of the index would
fit in the file cache.

bri