lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <>
Subject Re: custom segment files
Date Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:35:44 GMT
I'm actively working on LUCENE-1458, to enable differenct codecs for
reading/writing the terms dict and doc/freq/prox/payload postings.
I'm working now towards getting PforDelta working...

However, that change doesn't [yet] do anything for norms, stored
fields nor term vectors.

Can you describe more details about what kinds of customization you're
looking to do?

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:00 AM, John Wang <> wrote:
> Hi guys:
>      I am trying to figure how to add the ability to create custom segment
> files. Hopefully it is possible to create a plugin framework where one can
> provide some sort of callback to add to a segment given a doc and provide
> some sort of merge logic. This is in light of the flexible indexing effort.
>      After digging thru the latest trunk code in that area, I see a
> Writer/WriterPerThread pattern for different types of segment files, e.g.
> Stored data, norms, inverted doc, etc.
>      Do you think it is a good idea to consolidate them? Are there
> intricacies where there are cross dependency between different types of
> writers?
>      Merge logic seems to be in the SegmentMerger class. Seems to do this,
> it would be good to separate it out to per writer type.
>       I am still trying to understand the code, any help is greatly
> appreciated.
> Thoughts?
> Thanks
> -John