lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:47:17 GMT
Slight divergence from the topic...

On Sep 22, 2009, at 10:48 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> John are you using IndexWriter.setMergedSegmentWarmer, so that a newly
> merged segment is warmed before it's "put into production" (returned
> by getReader)?

One of the pieces I still am missing from all of this is why isn't
IW.getReader() now just the preferred way of getting a IndexReader for
all applications other than those that are completely batch oriented?
Why bother with IndexReader.reopen()?  IW.getReader() is marked as
Expert right now, which says to me there are some tradeoffs or that
one needs to be really careful using it, but I don't see the downside
other than what appears to be some extra resources consumed and the
fact that it is brand new code, or at least the downside is not
documented.

And yet, at the first SF Meetup, I recall having a discussion with
Michael B. about this approach versus IR.reopen() that left me
wondering which one is better, since, Lucene has, in fact, always been
about incremental updates (since there are commercial systems out
there that require complete re-indexing) and that getting IR.reopen to
perform is just a matter of tuning one's application in regards to
reads and writes vs. having to do all this work in the IndexWriter
that now tightly couples the IndexReader to the IndexWriter.
Hopefully Michael can refresh my memory on the conversation, as I may
be remembering incorrectly.

-Grant