lucene-dev mailing list archives

From John Wang <john.w...@gmail.com>
Subject custom segment files
Date Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:00:24 GMT
Hi guys:

     I am trying to figure how to add the ability to create custom segment
files. Hopefully it is possible to create a plugin framework where one can
provide some sort of callback to add to a segment given a doc and provide
some sort of merge logic. This is in light of the flexible indexing effort.

     After digging thru the latest trunk code in that area, I see a
Writer/WriterPerThread pattern for different types of segment files, e.g.
Stored data, norms, inverted doc, etc.

     Do you think it is a good idea to consolidate them? Are there
intricacies where there are cross dependency between different types of
writers?

     Merge logic seems to be in the SegmentMerger class. Seems to do this,
it would be good to separate it out to per writer type.

      I am still trying to understand the code, any help is greatly
appreciated.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-John