lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron McKee <ucbmc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Spatial
Date Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:29:14 GMT

This all sounds like great work, thank you for putting in the time! I
ended up retooling a fair bit of Spatial myself (especially the Tiering
stuff which was, perhaps, a bit questionable in places). One of the
bigger concerns I had throughout the package, after delving into it, was
the overuse of 2d projections and planar math; this is fine for small
regions, but tends to cause noticeable distortions as you scale up to
large areas. There was also almost no handling of meridian traversing,
although it looks like Mark Miller has started adding some code to help
that (thank you!). These are sort of esoteric concerns, but fairly vital
if the solution is to scale to meet global needs. I didn't find the JTS
libraries useful as a geometric basis for basically these reasons,
unfortunately, although there are likely portions that could be useful
(e.g. simple features polydata parsing). I've tried to move a fair bit
of my code to be slightly more 3d intelligent, handle different shapes
better (bounding boxes natively, at least, with hooks for arbitrary
polygons), and work better with meridians. To be honest, it's been an
almost complete rewrite. I'm trying to get management to settle on an
open source policy (currently, it's all just for internal purposes) and
hopefully I'll be able to post the bits that may be useful, although I'm
happy to say it sounds like you're making much of this work obsolete and
I can't wait to see the patch. =)

Cheers,
Aaron