lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Shane <sha...@LEXUM.UMontreal.CA>
Subject Lucene 2.9.0-rc5 : Reader stays open after IndexWriter.updateDocument(), is that possible?
Date Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:22:16 GMT
I'm trying to track a bug in my application using Lucene rc5, its
regarding Readers. I've noticed that when I index, not every reader gets
closed, so I eventually run out of avail. fd's.

Before trying to reproduce this problem using the smallest code
possible, I'd like to know if lucene is supposed to close every reader
in a Document after the IndexWriter.updateDocument(Term, Document) has
been called?

Is there a path where lucene may "wait" before closing the readers?
Maybe after it indexes some other documents?

In my case, I am using one Reader in my field and it is a
BufferedReader(), but I don't think that should make any difference
(I'll re-try with a standard reader).

Can someone confirm that after an updateDocument all readers in the
document should be closed by lucene?

Daniel Shane