lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: SortField questions
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 15:46:37 GMT
On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Michael
McCandless<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Yonik Seeley<yonik@lucidimagination.com> wrote:
>
>>> In fact I think SortField.getComparator should be package private?
>>
>> It would be nice to keep - Solr already uses it :-)
>
> Intersting!  OK I'll leave it public but put "subject to suddenly
> change" warning on it.

Sure.  Using that method allowed me to delete a lot of SortComparator
code that was previously copy-n-pasted from Lucene into Solr.

Solr is basically using the comparators to get the sort field values
to return during distributed search, so docs can be merged.   Yes, we
should be able to get that from FieldDoc... but that would require a
number of changes to the APIs, and also to caching.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com