lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <va...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: Finishing Lucene 2.9
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:01:04 GMT

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, Michael McCandless wrote:

> Right, this (you can jump to 2.9, fix all deprecations, then easily
> move to 3.0 and see no deprecations) is my understanding too, but I
> don't see what's particularly useful about that.  It does produce a
> Lucene release that has zero deprecated APIs (assuming we remove all
> of them), but I don't think that's very important.  Also, it's extra work
> having to do a "no-op, except for deprecations removal and generics
> addition" release :)

It's a clean break with the past, well worth the release effort.

There is no such thing as a no-op release. I'm sure people will find bugs or
usability issues with 2.9 days after it's released. Rapidly fixing some of
these in 3.0 would be a nice gesture.

  - remove deprecations
  - fix important/obvious bugs reported since 2.9
  - move a few 1.5 things in like StringBuilder to cast 1.5 use in stone (and
    set expectations accordingly)
  - release 3.0

In other words, 3.0 is really a 2.9.1 bug fix release with a few extra
things requiring the major version increment.

Andi..