lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject RE: Lucene 2.9 release size
Date Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:19:22 GMT

: This prompts the question (in my mind anyway): should source releases include third-party
binary jars?

if i remember correctly, the historical argument has been that this way
the source release contains everything you need to compile the source.

except that if i remember correctly (and i'm very tired at the moment)
there are some contribs that won't compile without downloading additional
jars (bdb?) so really the jars included in the source release artifacts
just represent the jars that *can* be included in the source release.

Not to dredge up maven/ivy dependencay management arguments -- but even if
we wanted to be certain we were compiling specific versions, without
depending on any special dependencay managment system/repo we could just
have the source releases download the jars from our own site so people who
don't care about compiling those contribs can get smaller source
distributions.

...but i doubt it's worth trying to tackle before 2.9.

-Hoss