lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Finishing Lucene 2.9
Date Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:38:52 GMT
just wanted to mention this (i honestly don't have any opinion either way):

> Right, this (you can jump to 2.9, fix all deprecations, then easily
> move to 3.0 and see no deprecations) is my understanding too, but I
> don't see what's particularly useful about that.  It does produce a
> Lucene release that has zero deprecated APIs (assuming we remove all
> of them), but I don't think that's very important.  Also, it's extra work
> having to do a "no-op, except for deprecations removal and generics
> addition" release :)

But isn't it also true it could be a bit more than no-op:
1) changing to "better" defaults in cases where back compat prevents
this. I think I remember a few of these?
2) bugfixes found after release of 2.9
3) performance improvements, not just from #1 but also from removal of
back-compat shims (i.e. tokenstream reflection)

I am not saying this stuff is really important to users to merit a
release, but I don't think it is a no-op either.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com