lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IndexWriter.getReader usage
Date Sat, 01 Aug 2009 12:30:23 GMT
On Aug 1, 2009, at 7:52 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> In many NRT cases, it seems the traditional approach has been to
> have two RAM directories and a write-through FS Directory (for
> example Zoie does this, and it has also been discussed a fair number
> of times on the various lists).  I'm wondering how the new
> IndexWriter.getReader stuff relates to that approach?  Is there even
> a need for the RAM dirs at this point?

I'm curious as to how it obviates the need for a RAM dir? In my use
case I use them to create indexes and perform searches. In the latter
it avoids   OS file indexing and virus scanner contention (40 min
reduced to less than 2 min). The indexes are small at 2-4M and 64k
tiny docs in each.  So they easily fit in core. For searching the gain
was small but noticible.

-- DM