lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <>
Subject Re: who clears attributes?
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 20:56:50 GMT

On Aug 11, 2009, at 3:21 PM, Michael Busch wrote:

>>> Thanks Mark. Yeah, I'm really not sure what actually the problem
>>> here is now. There was a performance test in Solr that apparently
>>> ran much slower after upgrading to the new Lucene jar. This test
>>> is testing a rather uncommon scenario: very very short documents.
>> That is not an uncommon scenario.  Solr has very, very short fields
> I meant that having documents that only contain very short fields is
> not as common as having docs with a decent amount of text.  Maybe
> I'm wrong - in either case I didn't try to say it's not an important
> use case. I think it is important to have good performance here
> too.  The point I was trying to make was that we tested performance
> more thoroughly for the case we thought would be more common.

FWIW, I think the most common scenario is: one or two large fields and
several (usually in the range of 5-10, but have seen cases with many)
small fields, at least that has been my experience.  Some of the small
fields require analysis, some don't.

> According to the numbers posted on LUCENE-1796 it now seems like
> it's fixed - even for documents with only very short fields and no
> reusable TokenStreams.

Very cool.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: