lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SpanQuery and Spans optimizations
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:28:29 GMT

On Aug 12, 2009, at 5:58 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> I think being able to ask the Scorer for matching spans for the
> current doc makes tons of sense.
>
> I think eventually span queries should be absorbed into the normal
> lucene queries.  EG, if TermQuery creates a scorer that's able to
> optionally enumerate matching spans, such that there's no performance
> loss if you don't actuallly request the spans, then we don't need
> SpanTermQuery.

I recall Michael B. having done some work that would help along these
terms, but by definition the SpanQueries visit the Spans since that is
how they access the position information.

One thing that is needed is some concrete evidence comparing the
performance.  I think people have the idea that they are slower, but
it isn't clear whether this is true or not, and if it is true, it
isn't clear how much slower they are.

-Grant