lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Earwin Burrfoot <ear...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IndexWriter.getReader usage
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2009 12:21:32 GMT
> The biggest win for NRT was switching to per-segment Collector because
> that meant we could re-use FieldCache entries for all segments that
> hadn't changed.
In my opinion, this switch was enough to get as NRT-ey, as you want.
Fusing IR/IW together makes Lucene a great deal more complicated and
just a milli-tad closer to RT.

> I'm curious as to how it obviates the need for a RAM dir?
> In my use case I use them to create indexes and perform searches.
> In the latter it avoids OS file indexing and virus scanner contention (40 min reduced
to less than 2 min).
Isn't indexing your indexes (omg), checking them for viruses and
striving for performance is ..err.. a little bit self-contradictary?

ICQ: 104465785