lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Matthew Hall <mh...@informatics.jax.org>
Subject Re: Lucene website - benchmarks page
Date Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:09:45 GMT
Sorry to interject, but I think that the most useful thing that could be
done to this page would be the creation of a standard benchmark test
suite that someone could simply download and run on own systems.

That way the benchmarking numbers for all users could be easily compared
between boxes etc... etc.

Perhaps a simple modification of the lucene demo that includes some sort
of .. largish data source to index, and then a configured number of
searches run against that corpus with known parameters?  (yes you could
in fact go alot further than this, but I figure its a start)

All users would have to do is download the somewhat large tar, and then
run some sort of test harness script that was included, and then post
their results.

I'm sure its not feasible to do something like this with the current
release schedule, but I think it would be nice to have.

Matt

Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : Prob want to run it on decent hardware as well (eg mabye I shouldn't do
> : it with my 5200 rpm laptop drives).
>
> as long as both are run on the same hardware, and the page lists the
> hardware, it's the relative numbers that matter the most.
>

> -Hoss

Matthew Hall
Software Engineer
Mouse Genome Informatics