lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Back-Compat on Contribs
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:49:52 GMT
Simon Willnauer wrote:
> I just talked to Robert about refactoring of smartcn for the next
> releases > 2.9. Robert raised a question if we should mark smartcn as
> experimental so that we can change interfaces and public methods etc.
> during the refactoring. Would that make sense for 2.9 or is there no
> such thing as a back compat policy for modules like that.
>
> simon

Contrib modules are not required to support back compat in any way
currently - but they can also each have any more restrictive policy that
we want. I consider Highlighter to be 1.4 right now (even though thats
not explicit anywhere).

Warning users that you don't plan on promising back compat with
experimental warnings seems like a good idea to me.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com