lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: attribute thoughts
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2009 00:55:39 GMT
On 8/18/09 5:44 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Michael Busch<buschmic@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 8/14/09 9:23 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>>
>>> Another thing I was wondering about was the opacity of State - one
>>> can't inspect or change the attributes w/o restoring it first.
>>> Undesirable limitation, or feature allowing more flexible state
>>> implementations?
>>>

>> Excellent point! This limitation is currently there to discourage changing
>> values of
>> a state, because that would be rather inefficient: you'd have to lookup the
>> attribute(s)
>> of each state you want to change.
>>
> Yeah, but restoring state also involves looking up attributes... so if
> one is going to skip around a cached list of States (tokens), it can
> still be more efficient to not restore each.

Right, for this the proposed StateContainer should help.

What I meant was that often caching of tokens is not necessary at all.
There were two
filters in contrib (ShingleFilter and another one I can't recall right
now) that did a lot
of token caching; I rewrote them in a way so that they do most of their
work on the
fly, without cloning/caching.

  Michael