lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Cowan <co...@aconex.com>
Subject Gentle Prod: LUCENE-1626 (flexible getPositionIncrementGap)
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 23:25:43 GMT
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone out there would be interested in taking a quick
peek at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1626 -- this lets
the position increment gap in an analyzer depend on the current term
position, which lets you do some cool things with 'one-to-many'
relationships (see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1494 for
the background and explanation).

It's a very low-impact patch: all existing Analyzer implementations
should work fine, as the default implementation of the new method just
delegates to the old one.

The only breaking change is that the original
getPositionIncrementGap(String) becomes protected, as now it's merely
the default implementation. I think this is unlikely to be a big impact
though: the only place this is called inside Lucene outside another
analyzer class is in DocInverterPerField, and it seems unlikely to me
that any user code would be calling this method directly (happy to be
corrected here).

I'm asking for purely selfish reasons, if 2.9 is getting very close then
if this makes it in, it's one less change to 2.9 we have to maintain in
our own repo. Not saying it SHOULD get in, but hey, worth a crack.

That patch is slightly old (done against 2.4, I think), but is very
similar to what's required against trunk. If people seem amenable to
landing this (either pre- or post-2.9) then I'll be sure produce a new
patch which applies cleanly.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Paul