lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Cowan <co...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: SpanQuery and Spans optimizations
Date Thu, 13 Aug 2009 04:36:59 GMT
Michael McCandless wrote:
> I think eventually span queries should be absorbed into the normal
> lucene queries.  EG, if TermQuery creates a scorer that's able to
> optionally enumerate matching spans, such that there's no performance
> loss if you don't actuallly request the spans, then we don't need
> SpanTermQuery.

+1 from me. In fact, +<a lot more than 1>. I think if it were possible
for all queries to be able to provide spans in a consistent way, that
would be absolutely brilliant. Not sure how best to do this, but this
would make Spans a lot more useful.

e.g. I was going to have to implement SpanRangeQuery recently, when I
needed one (though I found a 3rd-party implementation which works fine)
-- it would be nice if TermRangeQuery just supported this out of the
box, it would be a lot more flexible.

Happy to help with this effort, this would be really useful for us.

Cheers,

Paul