lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The new Contrib QueryParser should not be slated to replace the old one yet
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:16:32 GMT
Michael Busch wrote:

> We should also realize that - thanks to Luis and Adriano - we now have
> actual code that can be the basis of discussions and that we can take
> and improve. No matter if this new QP is going to replace the old one
> or not, I'm very thankful that the two went through the effort of
> creating it. This framework has been very successful internally and we
> wanted to share something good with the Lucene community.
>
>  Michael

Agreed! I'd also like to extend my thanks to Luis and Adriano! And to
IBM for donating the code! I am certainly not looking a gift horse in
the mouth.

And I think its still very likely this parser will replace the old.
Despite my rant to not deprecate the current QP yet, I do think its a
nice design, and I do think it has a lot of value going forward. I just
think its a big enough deal that we should let it sit for a release in
contrib while everyone has a chance to take stalk of it. If you look at
the Qsol parser I used to play around with, it also has an intermediate
abstract query tree (its just way uglier and less plugable - dont go
look ;) ) - I think that makes a lot of sense, and I do know that it
will bring benefits to many developers in the future.

I just think it makes sense to wait a bit and see how things shake out.
I think that will give us more freedom in terms of addressing the
shortcomings we/users may find.

Giving users such a large framework to extends is a back compat
nightmare ! Lets just see how things go for a bit before we start really
locking in back compat on the thing (which we should presumably do if it
were to become the new QP).

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com