lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: who clears attributes?
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 19:21:02 GMT
On 8/11/09 4:13 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2009, at 4:28 AM, Michael Busch wrote:
>

>>> I'm not just responding to just you there, but more to the growing
>>> pack of those speaking against the new API. I don't see specific
>>> issues being brought up - the only issues I have seen brought up
>>> have been addressed in JIRA issues that have received no comments
>>> indicating the fix was not good enough. So we are seeing a lot of
>>> general complaints, but specific complaints have been addressed as
>>> far as I can tell.
>>>
>> Thanks Mark. Yeah, I'm really not sure what actually the problem here
>> is now. There was a performance test in Solr that apparently ran much
>> slower after upgrading to the new Lucene jar. This test is testing a
>> rather uncommon scenario: very very short documents.
>
> That is not an uncommon scenario.  Solr has very, very short fields
> _ALL THE TIME_.

I meant that having documents that only contain very short fields is not
as common as having docs with a decent amount of text.  Maybe I'm wrong
- in either case I didn't try to say it's not an important use case. I
think it is important to have good performance here too.  The point I
was trying to make was that we tested performance more thoroughly for
the case we thought would be more common.

According to the numbers posted on LUCENE-1796 it now seems like it's
fixed - even for documents with only very short fields and no reusable
TokenStreams.

  Michael