lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 2.5 versus 2.9, was Re: who clears attributes?
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 22:48:35 GMT
On 8/10/09 2:05 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:
> Or... and this is one crazy idea... maybe we should simply release 3.0
> next, not removing any deprecated APIs until 3.1 or later.  Ie,
> "normal" software on having so many major changes would release an X.0
> release; I agree the "deprecation release" is unusual.  This way users
> would realize/expect 3.0 to have major changes.

I'd be ok with that. It's not a crazy idea - at least less crazy as the
"deprecation release" idea itself! :)
We're getting in a situation where the "deprecation release" approach is
dictating and influencing how we add features to Lucene. For me it's
less important what version number a release gets - as long as we can
decide when and how to deprecate and remove an API when we think it
makes sense for the particular API - and not globally for all APIs in
Lucene because of a certain version number.

  Michael