lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: indexing_slowdown_with_latest_lucene_udpate
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 14:48:12 GMT
Robert Muir wrote:
> This is real and not just for very short docs.
Yes, you still pay the cost for longer docs, but it just becomes less important the longer
the docs, as it plays a smaller role. Load a ton of one term docs, and it might be 50-60%
slower - add a bunch of articles, and it might be closer to 20%-15% (I don't know the numbers,
but the longer I made the docs, the less % slowdown, obviously). Still a good hit, but a short
doc test magnafies the problem.

It affects things no matter what, but when you don't do much tokenizing, normalizing, the
cost of the reflection/tokenstream init dominates.

- Mark