lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Attributes, DocConsumer, Flexible Indexing, etc.
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2009 19:27:33 GMT
I think we're not quite there yet, where you can create a custom
indexing format easily and store your custom Attributes. What's
especially missing is an API on the retrieval side, on a
TermDocs/TermPositions level, that can read custom indexing formats. We
also need to make the SegmentMerger more flexible, so that it can merge
the custom codecs.

LUCENE-1458 goes into that direction, but obviously it's not going into
2.9/3.0. So hopefully in 3.1 we'll be able to do the stuff you're asking
for.

Even though we don't have flexible indexing yet, I think we made great
progress towards it already. Especially with Mike's restructuring of the
indexer and the Attributes API.

We should probably work on the wiki page that we have for flexible
indexing and identify work items, so that it's easy to see what the
current state is and what the plans are (as it was recently suggested on
java-dev). Let's do that after 2.9 is out.

  Michael