lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SpanQuery and BoostingTermQuery oddities
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2009 14:43:47 GMT

On Aug 5, 2009, at 10:07 AM, Mark Miller wrote:
> Yeah - SpanQuery's don't use the boosts from subspans - it just uses
> the idf for the query terms and the span length I believe - and the
> boost for the top level Query.
>
> Is that the right way to go? I guess Doug seemed to think so? I
> don't know. It is sort of a bug that lower boosts would be ignored
> right? There is an issue for it somewhere.
>
> It gets complicated quick to change it - all of a sudden you need
> something like BooleanQuery ...

Not sure it needs BooleanQuery, but it does seem like it should take
into account the scores of the subclauses (regardless of
BoostingTermQuery).  There is a spot in creating the SpanScorer where
it gets the value from the QueryWeight, but this QueryWeight does not
account for the subclauses QueryWeights.