lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: software grants
Date Sat, 11 Jul 2009 13:18:24 GMT
> I personally don't get what all the fuss is about.

I'm simply trying to avoid having rules I view as too strict (if
interpreted strictly) enshrined as policy.

> It's not hard to do a grant

>From the contributor side, it can be very, very, hard and can
potentially take a long time. The bigger the company, the harder it
can be.
Many may not pursue a contribution at all it if they thought one would
be required.
We shouldn't make contributions harder unless it's very necessary.

> when it lives somewhere else in public or was developed by a company or several  individuals,
it needs a grant.

That's way too strict.

> If it's just someone doing there thing, then it doesn't.

That's not cut and dried either - many companies assert IP rights to
creations made on employees own time, esp if they see it being
relevant to their business.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com