lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: software grants
Date Sat, 11 Jul 2009 02:13:53 GMT
 From http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

"One of the Incubator's roles is to ensure that proper attention is
paid to intellectual property. From time to time, an external codebase
is brought into the ASF that is not a separate incubating project but
still represents a substantial contribution that was not developed
within the ASF's source control system and on our public mailing
lists. "

Of course, the nitpicking is likely over the phrase "substantial
contribution".

I personally don't get what all the fuss is about.  It's not hard to
do a grant and it protects us, the ASF and Lucene at the cost of
taking a little longer, so I think it makes sense to be conservative.
So, in my mind, when it lives somewhere else in public or was
developed by a company or several individuals, it needs a grant.  If
it's just someone doing there thing, then it doesn't.  Often times, it
is the case that the person donating the code indicates these things,
as was the case with the Query Parser from IBM.