lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: software grants
Date Sat, 11 Jul 2009 18:48:29 GMT

On Jul 11, 2009, at 9:18 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

>> I personally don't get what all the fuss is about.
>
> I'm simply trying to avoid having rules I view as too strict (if
> interpreted strictly) enshrined as policy.
>
>> It's not hard to do a grant
>
> From the contributor side, it can be very, very, hard and can
> potentially take a long time. The bigger the company, the harder it
> can be.
> Many may not pursue a contribution at all it if they thought one would
> be required.
> We shouldn't make contributions harder unless it's very necessary.

When there is doubt as to the legality of the donation, then it isn't
a question of harder or easier.  It's just a matter of doing it right.

>> when it lives somewhere else in public or was developed by a
>> company or several  individuals, it needs a grant.
>
> That's way too strict.

I don't see how something can be stated as too strict when it states
it on the Incubator page which was chartered by the board to put it in
place.  I'd encourage you to take your questions to legal or incubator
when it arises.