You could call reader.hasDeletions to decide whether you should call isdeleted()? But you cannot use that alone, since if a library receives an IndexReader, it cannot rely solely on hasDeletions, since at an upper level someone might decide to delete a document w/ that reader, and therefore it needs to couple hasDeletions with isReadOnly. I think?