lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: Optimization of memory usage in PriorityQueue
Date Mon, 22 Jun 2009 14:22:56 GMT
On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Michael
McCandless<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Shai Erera<serera@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you think it's worth it? If so, should we also add reset() to Collector?
>
> Seems like it'd be good to have the option?  But it's certainly a very
> expert thing since it's presumably rare that one makes such a large
> queue to make re-use worthwhile.

Adding the option isn't free though - all developers must then
implement it, and it possibly adds a runtime cost to those not
reusing.  Attempting to reuse Collector seems super special case -
those that want to can always develop their own custom reusable
Collector.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com