lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject back compat policy changes?
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 00:22:59 GMT

(Please remain calm, this is just a request for clarification/summation)

As I slowly catch up on the 9000+ Lucene related emails that I accumulated
during my 2 month hiatus, I notice several rather large threads (i think
totally ~400 messages) on the subject of our back compat policy (where
it works, where it's failing us; where it hurts users because it works as
designed, where it hurts users because it doesn't work as designed; how we
could change it to be better, why we shouldn't change it; etc...)

I won't pretend that i've read all of those messages ... i won't even
pretend that I've skimmed all those messages, but i did skim *some* of
those messages, and in some of the later threads there seemed to be a lot
of concensus about ideas that (as far as i can tell) were not just "leave
things alone".

With that in mind, i was kind of suprised to see that the neither of the
two wiki pages (that i know of) related to backwards compatibility have
been updated since *well* before all of the recent threads...

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/BackwardsCompatibility?action=info
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/Java_1%2e5_Migration?action=info

My request is that someone who was involved in the previous discussions
take a stab at updating one or both of those docs to reflect what the
concensus of the community was.  Other people can then review the diff for
those documentation changes and spot check ewther they feel it reflects
the concensus as they understand it.  But until the written policy has
been changed, our policy (by definition) hasn't really been changed.

 	In short: "Patches Welcome!"

-Hoss