lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Common Bottlenecks
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:06:47 GMT
On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, Vico Marziale wrote:

: highly-multicore processors to speed computer forensics tools. For the
: moment I am trying to figure out what the most common performance bottleneck
: inside of Lucene itself is. I will then take a crack at porting some (small)
: portion of Lucene to CUDA (http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_what_is.html)
: and see what kind of speedups are achievable.
: appears to be a likely candidate. I've run the demo code through a profiler,
: but it was less than helpful, especially in light of the fact bottlenecks
: are going to be dependent on the way the Lucene API is used. In
: general, what is the most computationally expensive part of the process?

Vico: it doesn't look like you got any replies to your question.
performance isn't something i generally focus on when working on lucene,
but my suggestion for finding hot spots that could be improved is to look
at the benchmark tests in the contrib/benchmark directory.

Running some of those in a profiler should help you spot the likely
candidates for improvements when dealing with non-trivial usecases.

one thing to keep in mind is that search performance tends to be
completley seperate form indexing performance ... you may want to tackle
just one of those types of code paths. search tends to be the type of task
that people are most concerned with optimizing for speed.

-Hoss