lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for changing the backwards-compatibility policy
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:56:49 GMT
On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:41 PM, DM Smith<dmsmith555@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll reiterate what this means to me. It is more than just file format
> stability. An index must still be useful. An index is invalidated if the
> analyzers, filters and/or token streams produce a different result. If these
> change, the index is not really readable.

I agree: what's the point of keeping index format compatibility for so
long if tokenizers can produce different tokens.  It seems like index
file format & "the tokens produced by core tokenizers/filters" should
have the same policy.  Worse, it's necessary to be able to produce
"old" tokens, compatibly, since you may have an "old" index.  You
don't want a mix of old & new tokens in your index.

I think matchVersion is a great way to address these.  We'd only add
it to those analyzers that needed to change across versions, on
demand.

Mike