lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: 3.0, back-compat, Java 1.5 etc
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:33:04 GMT
On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 3:50 AM, Simon
Willnauer<simon.willnauer@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm curious if there is a kind of a roadmap or a document where I can
> get up-to-date with all those targets and especially what we want to
> achieve in 3.0.

I don't think we have such a doc...

I think "the plan" at this point is quite straightforward: we are
trying to wind down 2.9, and release it.  We have 36 issues still open
now...

3.0 will then be a mechanical release: "simply" remove all deprecated
APIs, fix all core, contrib, tests to not use those APIs, release, and
immediately begin accepting 1.5 patches.

> I also saw a comment on LUCENE-1407 "...Searcher extend the RMI class,
> but that will leave RMI in core. Or I can have Searchable implement
> new methods, but that won't take us in the ultimate direction we want
> - getting rid of interfaces."
> I'm curious about why lucene wants to get rid of interfaces though?

Because you can't add a new method to an interface w/o breaking
back-compat.  Vs an abstract class, where you can add the method w/ a
default impl.  We are trying to move away from interfaces for all but
the most trivial situations now...

Mike