lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Token API was Re: Payloads and TrieRangeQuery
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2009 18:11:45 GMT

On Jun 14, 2009, at 8:05 PM, Michael Busch wrote:

> I'd be happy to discuss other API proposals that anybody brings up
> here, that have the same advantages and are more intuitive. We could
> also beef up the documentation and give a better example about how
> to convert a stream/filter from the old to the new API; a
> constructive suggestion that Uwe made at the ApacheCon.

More questions:

1. What about Highlighter and MoreLikeThis?  They have not been
converted.  Also, what are they going to do if the attributes they
need are not available?  Caveat emptor?
2. Same for TermVectors.  What if the user specifies with positions
and offsets, but the analyzer doesn't produce them?  Caveat emptor?
(BTW, this is also true for the new omit TF stuff)
3. Also, what about the case where one might have attributes that are
meant for downstream TokenFilters, but not necessarily for indexing?
Offsets and type come to mind.  Is it the case now that those
attributes are not automatically added to the index?   If they are
ignored now, what if I want to add them?  I admit, I'm having a hard
time finding the code that specifically loops over the Attributes.  I
recall seeing it, but can no longer find it.

Also, can we add something like an AttributeTermQuery?  Seems like it
could work similar to the BoostingTermQuery.

I'm sure more will come to me.

-Grant