lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Earwin Burrfoot <ear...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Payloads and TrieRangeQuery
Date Sun, 14 Jun 2009 08:04:28 GMT
> Just to throw something out, the new Token API is not very consumable in my
> experience. The old one was very intuitive and very easy to follow the code.
>
> I've had to refigure out what the heck was going on with the new one more
> than once now. Writing some example code with it is hard to follow or
> justify to a new user.
>
> What was the big improvement with it again? Advanced, expert custom indexing
> chains require less casting or something right?
>
> I dunno - anyone else have any thoughts now that the new API has been in
> circulation for some time?
I have an advanced, expert custom indexing chain, and it's still not
ported over the new API.
It's counter intuitive alright, with names not really saying what's
going on (please, for an AttributeSource, whose Attribute is it?
Attribute is a quality of 'something', but that 'something' is amiss),
but the biggest problem for me is that it capitalizes on the idea of
token stream even further, making filters whose output is several
times the input tokenwise, or which need to inspect a number of tokens
before emitting something - much harder to write. I most probably
missed something and there IS a way not to trash your memory with
non-reused linkedhashmaps, but than again, there's no pointers.

ICQ: 104465785