lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: Shouldn't IndexWriter.commit(Map) accept Properties instead?
Date Mon, 22 Jun 2009 20:30:51 GMT
> > You could also serialize arbitrary objects into the index
> (Map<String,?>).
>
> Or just commit(Object) (not commit(Map<?,?>)).
>
> The back-compat problems in LUCENE-1473 don't apply since the Object
> is opaque to Lucene.
>
> What other issues would we be taking on by using Java's serialization
> here...?

If the user serializes object, opens the index on another machine where
different versions of these classes are installed and he did not use
serialVersionId to create a version info in index. As long as you only
serialize standard Java classes like String, HashMap,... you will have no
problem with that, but with own classes a lot of care must be taken that
they can be serialized in different versions. In my case with the stored
document Field it was just a LinkedHashSet of String or something like that
(very easy for serialization).

An the second problem is, that if you want to open such an index e.g. with
PyLucene? Should PyLucene just ignore the binary serialization data?