lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for changing the backwards-compatibility policy
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 19:04:22 GMT
Michael McCandless wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:41 PM, DM Smith<dmsmith555@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> The Debian policy is to bump the major revision number every time there is an incompatible
API change.

> Does this include adding methods to interfaces?  Ie, is there some
> automated check done by Debian that roughly matches our "JAR
> drop-in-ability"?

The Debian process is manual, driven by policy.

IIRC, they look at the CHANGES.txt to see if, according to their policy,
it is a new major version, a new minor version or just a bug fix and
base their decision on that.

BTW, JPackage considers every release of Lucene to break backward
compatibility since they look at Lucene, core and contrib, as a whole.
They retain the Lucene numbering.