lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for changing the backwards-compatibility policy
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 17:11:54 GMT
Mark Miller wrote:
> I'm inclined to agree to a large extent. If we want to remove
> deprecations more often, why not release major versions more often?
>
> The main ramification I see being that the index back compat period
> could be significantly shortened time wise with the current policy.
I don't think that there is a requirement that 5.x, or later, *must not*
be able to read 3.x. It is merely an allowance.

Conversely, the side effect of using minor releases as major ones is
that we indefinitely postpone the allowable breaking of index
compatibility. With this proposal, what would ever drive a 4.0 release?

-- DM