lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Token API was Re: Payloads and TrieRangeQuery
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:55:58 GMT
Robert Muir wrote:
>> As Lucene's contrib hasn't been fully converted either (and its been quite
>> some time now), someone has probably heard that groan before.
>>

> hope this doesn't sound like a complaint,
Complaints are fine in any case. Every now and then, it might cause a
little rant from me or something, but please don't let that dissuade you :)
Who doesnt like to rant and rave now and then. As long as thoughts and
opinions are coming out in a non negative way (which certainly includes
complaints),
I think its all good.
>  but in my opinion this is
> because many do not have any tests.
> I converted a few of these and its just grunt work but if there are no
> tests, its impossible to verify the conversion is correct.

Thanks for pointing that out. We probably get lazy with tests,
especially in contrib, and this brings up a good point - we should
probably push
for tests or write them before committing more often. Sometimes I'm sure
it just comes downto a tradeoff though - no resources at the time,
the class looked clear cut, and it was just contrib anyway. But then
here we are ... a healthy dose of grunt work is bad enough when you have
tests to check it.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com