lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Token API was Re: Payloads and TrieRangeQuery
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2009 00:46:05 GMT
I don't know how I feel about rolling the new token api back.

I will say that I originally had no issue with it because I am very
excited about Lucene-1458.

At the same time though, I'm thinking Lucene-1458 is a very advanced
issue that will likely be for really expert usage (though I can see
benefits falling to general users).

I'm slightly iffy about making an intuitive api much less intuitive for
an expert future feature that hasn't fully materialized in Lucene yet.
It almost seems like that fight should weigh towards general usage and
standard users.

I don't have a better proposal though, nor the time to consider it at
the moment. I was just more curious if anyone else had any thoughts. I
hadn't realized Grant had asked a similar question not long ago
with no response. Not sure how to take that, but I'd think that would
indicate less problems with people than more. On the other hand, you
don't have to switch yet (with trunk) and we have yet to release it. I
wonder how many non dev, every day users have really had to tussle with
the new API yet. Not many people complaining too loudly at the moment
though.

Asking for a roll back seems a bit extreme without a little more support
behind it than we have seen.

- Mark